Saturday, September 12, 2009

To market, to market . . .





It's hard to beat a good market. Even if you aren't a cook, wandering through a bustling market can be inspiring. We headed off to Cleveland this weekend to attend the wedding of a co-worker. Since we are both fans of the city (sounds odd but you should really check it out for yourself) we headed out early to visit some of our favorite haunts. Among the places we visited was the West Side Market, Cleveland's oldest publicly-owned market which dates back to 1840.

I’m a nerd. I’m OK with that. I think the reason I'm continuously drawn to the West Side is because we don’t have anything of that scale in Chicago (I feel similarly about the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto). Even though I'm visiting, and therefore cannot shop as I would locally, I could spend hours wandering aimlessly amongst all of the purveyor stalls daydreaming about the endless meals I could create for family and friends. I love not only the local vegetables, meat, fish, cheese and endless bakery items you can find there but also the energy and buzz of the market. There is something innately satisfying about wandering through on a Saturday morning.

As much as I love visiting Cleveland, my heart belongs to Chicago, so I won't be moving anytime soon. I will however, continue to search for the very best of the local farmer's markets and I will carry the inspiration of my visit to the West Side Market with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment